Wikipedia describes the Indian Finance Ministry thus: The Ministry of Finance is an important ministry within the Government of India concerned with the economy of India, serving as the Indian Treasury Department. In particular, it concerns itself with taxation, financial legislation, financial institutions, capital markets, center and State finances, and the Union Budget.
The Ministry of Finance is the cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service, Indian Economic Service, Indian Cost Accounts Service and Indian Civil Accounts Service etc.
The Rising India Party takes the position that over the years since independence, the Finance Ministry has been largely responsible more for creating bottlenecks and straitjackets for the Indian economy, thus constricting it, while pandering to whatever current dogma is being pushed by the ruling party.
It has been the chief architect of the license raj system delivering huge power in the hands of the politicians and bureaucrats to throttle and lord it over the genius and enterprise of India, that is inherent in the DNA of the people of this great civilization; and in the process creating the very channels of the black economy; largely one of political and bureaucratic corruption that is common knowledge with numerous cases over the decades, that is responsible for the patchy and a skewed development of this nation.
It has been run largely by unimaginative bureaucrats whose inspiration is derived from Western education and economic paradigms with no originality of thought or design within the Indian civilizational ethos and vast experience over thousands of years. It has never attempted to bring into its policy design ambit the best brains of the country, nor has it undertaken any exercise to take the public into confidence or for consultation while it has designed policies that have governed and set the economic narrative of the country. Rather, those who have been brought in have been generally cronies of the power elites rather than the best available brains with the ability of lateral and innovative thinking.
If the Indian economy has not developed at the pace it could have since independence, it is largely because of the policies and functioning of the Finance Ministry. Constricting enterprise and creating bottlenecks are its achievements; and foreign powers who should be wary of Indian power, are laughing all the way in their geo-political gamesmanship. Our bureaucrats have done their job for them in keeping India down and weak.
The country needs a completely new game, and style of functioning, and The Rising India Party aims to do just that with the active support of the Indian public. It proposes to carry out the following steps to bring in the required change.
As a first step, on winning elections, The Rising India Party would immediately undertake a thorough audit of the functioning of various Government Ministries with the view to:
- Profiling and Auditing of the thinking and Processes and manuals employed in the functioning of the Finance Ministry – such audits have never taken place, nor have these been ever placed in the public domain.
- Most likely the manuals used are those set by the British and need a thorough line-by-line review and re-write to suit the 21st century Indian nation.
- Assess backlogs of files and pending decisions within each Ministry.
- Asses the cross-linkages of each Ministry with others and the reasons thereof with the view to re-setting or consolidating these.
- Assess how the overall Ministerial structure functions and how it can be rationalized such that cross-linked departments or Ministries can be identified and merged or rationalized for efficiency are identified.
- Assess and Audit personnel employed in each Ministry with the view to identifying over-staffing where it exists.
- Carry out audits of key personnel and their efficiency and corruption quotients.
- Assess corruption opportunities available within the system.
- Identify officers who have indulged in such corruption, and move to removing them from their posts and further, if they have not taken advantage of the general amnesty, to punish them as per the new laws of the land.
- Use Psychometric profiling and Polygraph assisted interviews to arrive at an accurate picture of those who may have indulged in misuse of power for personal gain and / or sold out to foreign powers
- Identify changes that need to be brought about to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of these Ministries, in management style, hierarchy structure and decision-making processes.
- Set firm time frames for decision making from inception to conclusion.
- Identify where processes can be simplified and streamlined.
- The Audit teams would comprise a mix of personnel from the Bureaucracy, elected personnel, senior experienced personnel from the private sector and members of the public chosen at random.
- The profile of the audit teams would be such as to have appropriate experience in the area of the operation of the concerned ministry.
- For example, for the Finance Ministry, the personnel mix would comprise experienced personnel from the Public and Private Banking and Financial sector, Chartered accountants, duly whetted and experienced civil servants, personnel from Consulting organizations, members of the public picked at random as observers to ensure the integrity of the processes.
- The government would requisition personnel from the private sector who would remain on the books of the organizations from where they are brought in for limited period assignments during which they shall draw 50% of their salaries from their companies and the government would pay balance 50% plus costs.
- The Audit groups would be tasked with audit of the processes and Operations manuals of the concerned Ministries and will table the report within stipulated time for analytic discussion and policy rewrite with the Plans Board and Implementation Groups formed with the purpose to rewrite the Policy, Operations manuals and Laws that set the rules for the functioning of the Indian government.
- This model would need to be discussed and finalized.
- Core Plans Board Groups that would serve as the think tanks tasked with looking at every major and related minor area of government activity of the nation, within both the national and global backdrop.
- The groups would be split into smaller sub-groups tasked with focused industry wise responsibility to be formed comprising a mix of appropriate qualified and experienced personnel